hanova FAQ English
Frequently Asked Questions

All tenants must observe the building regulations – which they sign and agree to when concluding the lease agreement – to ensure that everyone in the building can live together amicably.

You can find the latest version of the building regulations via the following link:

Hausordnung (PDF Download)

The aha Service provided by Abfallwirtschaft Region Hannover is responsible for collecting bulky waste (except electronics) free of charge.

Please do not move bulky waste to the side of the road or to communal areas until the evening before the arranged date of collection by the aha Service. We will dispose of any improperly stored bulky waste, with the costs for this service shared by all tenants.

To make an appointment for bulky waste collection, call the freephone number +49(0)800 99 911 99 or visit: Online-Sperrmüllanmeldung

For some of our properties, we require tenants to provide a deposit at the start of their tenancy.

The deposit amount is three months’ net rent (i.e. excluding service charges) and is paid to a separate deposit account specified by us. At the end of the tenancy, the deposit is repaid to the tenant, subject to any deductions for costs incurred during the tenancy.

In principle, the landlord is entitled to retain the deposit for up to six months. However, if there are no claims for deductions from the deposit, we will return the deposit to you as soon as possible.

Our hanova WOHNEN MIT project – which supplements our hanova WOHNEN PLUS project – offers various forms of housing that include services beyond basic residential housing. It is primarily designed for older people, people with dementia and people with mobility issues or other disabilities, with four different levels of care available.

The WOHNEN MIT Betreuter Gemeinschaft (Supervised Community) package includes community-based living with care and support available up to 24 hours a day. The WOHNEN MIT Betreuung (Care) and WOHNEN MIT Unterstützung (Support) packages offer neighbourhood living with support and advice, with a care institution either joined to the building directly or located nearby. The WOHNEN MIT Technischer Assistenz (Technical Assistance) package includes a number of technical solutions to help people live in their own apartments for as long as possible.

You can find further information and our locations via the following link: hanova WOHNEN MIT

Our hanova WOHNEN PLUS project is specifically designed to help our older tenants to live independently in their apartments for longer. We have a care provider on site to ensure safety in these residences. The care provider can provide services in line with residents’ needs and without any basic costs.

In addition to accessible apartments, some of which are equipped with a kitchen, these properties feature residential cafés, which foster communication between residents through a range of services.

You can find further information and our locations via the following link: hanova WOHNEN PLUS

Thank you for your interest in our new-build projects. You can find an overview of our current projects via the following link: New-build properties

Some of our new-build properties have their own project pages where you can register your interest. Otherwise, contact the relevant member of our team, who will be happy to add you to the waiting list.

You will then automatically receive further information on upcoming apartments as soon as we bring each development to market.

We’re here for you
Servicehotline 0511.64 67 – 0
E-Mail info@hanova.de

Klagesmarkt customer centre
Otto-Brenner-Strasse 4
30159 Hannover

Opening hours
Monday to Thursday: 8am – 6pm
Friday: 8am – 3pm

Vahrenheide customer centre
Plauener Strasse 12A
30179 Hannover

Opening hours
Monday: 8am – 12pm & 1pm – 3pm
Tuesday: 8am – 12pm & 1pm – 6pm
Thursday: 8am – 12pm & 1pm – 6pm

If you wish to have a dog or a cat as a pet in your apartment, you must first obtain our consent. Please contact your customer advisor to discuss this.

You can submit a request for approval under the “Queries” tab.

Antrag auf Genehmigung von Tierhaltung (PDF Download)

Have other tenants failed to abide by the building regulations (e.g. not observing designated quiet hours)?
In the first instance, we would recommend approaching your neighbour in a friendly manner to draw their attention to this. In most cases, addressing the situation directly proves helpful and helps people to move forward amicably as neighbours.

However, if such issues persist, please keep a record of the disturbances, including precise descriptions. In the event of disturbances during quiet hours, remember to note the dates and times (start and end). You should also sign your record and have it signed by other witnesses.

We would be happy to send you a template for these records.

Are you having problems with your neighbours?
Unfortunately, we are unable to mediate in private disputes. If you are a victim of theft, your private property is damaged or you receive threats from your neighbours, please contact the police directly.

You must pay your rent by the third working day of each month. You are welcome to set up a SEPA direct debate mandate for rent payments. You must pay your rent by the third working day of each month. You can set up a SEPA direct debate mandate under the “Queries” tab.

If you have difficulty with rental payments, please contact your customer advisor as soon as possible. We will work with you to try to find a solution. Don’t simply allow your payments to lapse and force eviction!

If a funding body (e.g. job centre) has agreed to pay your rent, please contact your customer advisor as soon as possible.

Your monthly rent will usually include pre-payments for the general service charge, heating costs and water. We will send you a statement containing a breakdown of these costs in the following year.

This statement will identify credit with a negative figure (–) and additional amounts due with a positive figure (+).

Please note that, if your account is in credit, we can only pay this out automatically if we receive the rent for your tenancy from your account through a direct debit mandate. Alternatively, if you have set up a standing order for your rent payments, please inform us of your bank details in writing so that we can transfer the credit to you.

If a public funding body (e.g. job centre) pays your rent, please submit the statement to your case handler.

Subletting arrangements are subject to our consent. Applications must be submitted in writing. We will review the following aspects before giving consent to subletting arrangements:

  •  Does the sublet include the entire apartment or just a part of it (e.g. a single bedroom)?
  • Is the apartment large enough to accommodate the proposed number of residents?
  • Is the subletter already known to us?

Über den nachstehenden Link können Sie sich den Antrag zur Aufnahme eines/einer Untermieters/Untermieterin downloaden:

Antrag auf Aufnahme eines Untermieters (PDF Download)

Due to occupancy rights held by the City of Hanover, many of our apartments are allocated by the local authorities. The City of Hanover’s Planning and Urban Development department (Fachbereich Planen und Stadtentwicklung) offers these apartments to interested parties with a certificate of eligibility for subsidised housing.

This means that, unfortunately, we are not always able to consider tenants’ proposals for subsequent letting.

You can find information on certificates of eligibility for subsidised housing and their award by the  City of Hanover’s Planning and Urban Development department.

Is your apartment in need of repairs? We’ll be happy to help you. Simply submit a report under the “Repairs” tab.

You can also contact our authorised contractors directly, e.g. for drain cleaning or in relation to your TV service. You can find the relevant tenant self-service telephone numbers here: Reparaturen und Tipps

If you would like to give notice on the lease for your apartment, you must provide written notice (i.e. paper form, not via fax or email) to your landlord by the third working day of the month. All parties to the rental agreement must sign this written notice.

The contractually agreed notice period is three months, provided that notice is given “[…] at the latest on the third working day of a calendar month with effect for the end of the second month thereafter” (Section 573c of the German Civil Code [Bundesgesetzbuch – BGB]).

Garages and commercial spaces may be subject to other agreements. Please refer to your rental contract or contact your customer advisor.

If you wish to revoke your notice of termination, you must do so in writing. Please note that your landlord is not obligated to accept revocation of notice of termination.

Preliminary inspection
After giving notice of termination, please arrange a preliminary inspection appointment with your customer advisor. You do not need to dismantle or remove any furnishings or clear out any rooms for this initial inspection of your apartment. Instead, the initial inspection allows us to explain exactly what you need to do before moving out. In addition, the initial inspection helps us to estimate the scope of remedial work required after you move out.

Final inspection
Please arrange an appointment with your customer advisor for a final inspection of your apartment at the end of your notice period. Together, you and your advisor will take readings from all meters, check the apartment for damage and record the return of keys.

If the next tenant wishes to keep any of your property or furniture, you must agree this in writing by the time of the final inspection.

If damage was identified during the preliminary inspection and you have not completed repairs by the final inspection, including if a grace period was granted, we will engage a specialist company to perform the repairs and charge the costs to your account.

Return of keys
At the end of your tenancy, please return the keys to the apartment to a hanova employee. Do not give them directly to the next tenant.

If we do not receive the keys from you at the end of your tenancy, you will continue to be charged a user fee in the amount of the monthly rent.